It's interesting that those in the social media industry believe everything that's occurring with respect to social media is new. As I look back to direct marketing, database marketing, networking and advertising – I don't believe our goals for businesses were different at all. There are a lot of doom and gloom stories about how todos os negocios must adapt or they're going to fail. I don't believe that's true.
While I agree that the mediums have changed (and improved), businesses are still trying to achieve what they always have. The goals for business have never been different, it's the mediums and the expectations of consumers that have changed.
Se escribise un manifesto para empresas, probablemente tería estes dez obxectivos:
- O meu negocio será dispoñible onde os clientes potenciais e os clientes están a buscarnos.
- O meu negocio será dispoñible cando os clientes potenciais e os clientes necesitan de nós.
- O meu negocio responder cando os clientes potenciais e os clientes fan unha solicitude.
- O meu negocio fixarase expectativas realistas para clientes potenciais e clientes.
- O meu negocio entregar que esperaban os clientes.
- O meu negocio entregar cando dixemos que o fariamos.
- O meu negocio admitir cando cometemos un erro.
- O meu negocio fixar os nosos erros.
- O meu negocio será honesto contigo.
- O meu negocio comunicarse efectivamente progreso no camiño.
In return for being open, honest, accountable and available, businesses hope that prospects and customers will return the favor – communicating how well they performed. This isn't just good marketing or novo marketing, this is good business. These have always been the goals of the businesses I've worked with.
As you review these goals, there's nothing mentioned about new media, experiential marketing, social media, search, search engine optimization, twitter, Facebook, email or any other marketing medium. Those mediums' existence make it much easier to achieve the business goals – but it doesn't require that every business adopt them.
Your company may find that good old fashioned cold calling does the trick. Remember – it's still true that the majority of the business world has not adopted social media, and many are successful, growing and even flourishing businesses. Take mazá for example… I don't see Apple being open, transparent or overwhelmingly engaged in social media – but they're doing quite well, aren't they?
My point isn't to discourage companies from adopting and utilizing social media. Quite the opposite. If your business wants to adopt the goals of the above manifesto, I have no doubt that social media will accelerate your business given the proper resources and the right strategy. If those goals are not the goals of your company, social media may not be a fit.
Pensa antes de saltar! A auga é fría e profunda. 🙂